There are eight new flicks in theaters this Friday. One opens nationwide and the other seven open on a limited basis.
Nationwide – New Flicks In Theaters This Friday, March 23rd:
Movie: The Hunger Games (PG-13)
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks,Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci & Donald Sutherland
Genre: Action Adventure Drama
Synopsis: In what was once North America lies the Capital of the nation of Panem and it’s twelve districts. Every year each district sends one boy and one girl to compete in the Hunger Games, which is a nationally televised event that pits the 24 kids from the districts against each other in a fight for survival and to be the last one standing. A sixteen-year-old girl volunteers to take the place of her younger sister in the games. She must use her instincts and what she learns from her drunken mentor, a former games victor. She is going up against others that have been training to take place in these games since they were born. To return home to District 12, she has impossible choices to make. She must weigh survival and life against humanity and love.
First Thoughts: I’ve never read The Hunger Games books, but those I know that have are very excited for this movie. I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
Limited – New Flicks In Theaters This Friday, March 23rd:
- 4:44 Last Day on Earth – Psychological sci-fi drama starring Willem Dafoe about two lovers that after hearing the world will end by morning, immerse themselves in sex, art and other activities.
- Brake – Action suspense thriller starring Stephen Dorf about a Secret Service agent locked in the trunk of a moving car and his captors trying to get him to reveal the location of the president.
- The Deep Blue Sea – Romance drama starring Rachel Weisz about a free spirited woman trapped in a passionless marriage whose life is thrown into turmoil after she meets another man. She ends up estranged from both men and makes one final desperate gesture to get noticed.
- Musical Chairs – Romance drama set within the world of competitive ballroom dancing.
- October Baby – Psychological drama about a 19-year-old girl that learns she was adopted after surviving an attempted abortion and embarks on a road trip to find her birth mother.
- The Raid: Redemption – Action drama about a special forces team that heads to a rundown apartment complex to remove the owner, a notorious drug lord. But, the building is a haven for killers, gangs and thieves looking for a place they know won’t be touched by the police. When their cover is blown, they must fight their way through every floor and room to complete their mission and hopefully survive.
- The Trouble With Bliss – Drama starring Michael C. Hall about a 35-year-old man that seems to be stuck in life with no prospects, job or otherwise, that finds while his life is unraveling that it is also opening up in new ways, as he finds himself tangled between two bizarre relationships.
There is one new film playing in my area this week. It is The Hunger Games. Of the eight new flicks in theaters this Friday, what will you be going to see this weekend?