There are 13 new movie releases for Friday. Three start everywhere and another 10 are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movie Releases for Friday, August 26th:
Movie: Colombiana (PG-13)
Starring: Zoe Saldana, Jordi Mollà, Lennie James, Amandla Stenberg & Michael Vartan
Synopsis: A young girl witnesses the murder of her family. She grows up to be a beautiful assassin that works for her uncle. Yet, she remains focused on getting revenge on the people responsible for the death of her parents.
First Thoughts: I was really looking forward to this after first seeing the trailer, but after subsequently seeing Saldana in The Losers it became a definite want to see. The only thing that has me a bit worried is that the release date has been changed so many times.
Movie: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (R)
Starring: Guy Pearce, Katie Holmes, Bailee Madison, Jack Thompson & Alan Dale
Synopsis: This is based on the 1973 TV movie that some believe is the scariest movie ever made for television. A family moves into a 19th Century mansion in Rhode Island and while exploring find that their daughter is hearing voices from creatures living in the basement that want to make the girl their own.
First Thoughts: I have no interest in this whatsoever.
Movie: Our Idiot Brother (R)
Starring: Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer, Steve Coogan & Hugh Dancy
Synopsis: After a guy gets out of jail for dealing pot, he begins to mess-up the very well structured lives of his three sisters.
First Thoughts: Great cast and looks like it could be funny. At the beginning of the trailer I totally thought it was John Corbett instead of Rudd at first.
Limited – New Movie Releases for Friday, August 26th:
- Brighton Rock – Crime drama about a young man that is an up and comer in the world of organized crime that tries to seduce a woman that finds evidence linking him to a murder.
- BuzzKill – Black comedy about a struggling writer that has his car and script stolen by a serial killer.
- The Caller – Modern noir thriller starring Frank Langella and Elliott Gould.
- Chasing Madoff – Documentary about Harry Markopolos and his team of investigators looking into the Madoff scandal.
- Circumstance – Drama about to teen girls in Iran dealing with the world they were born into as they discover their sexuality and growing relationship.
- The Family Tree – Comedy drama about a family that is falling apart until the mother has an accident that leaves her with a case of amnesia.
- Higher Ground – Drama about an evangelical Christian woman, played by Vera Farmiga, that is struggling with her faith and how she deals with a tragedy involving her best friend.
- Redemption Road – Drama starring Michael Clarke Duncan that tries to help a struggling musician get past his stage fright and get back on track. Saw this one during the Seattle International Film Festival. It’s good, but was billed as a comedy drama during the festival, which left me with different expectations going-in. May have liked it better had I not been expecting to laugh. It has some beautiful cinematography along the way, but the story plays out just as expected.
- Swinging With the Finkels – Sex comedy about a couple that looks to spice up what has become a dull marriage.
- Suing the Devil – Comedy drama about a law student that decides to sue Satan and the Devil himself shows up to defend himself.
There are three new movies playing in my area this week. They are Colombiana, Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, and Our Idiot Brother. Of the 13 new movie releases for Friday, which are you most looking forward to seeing this weekend?