There are 12 new movies coming out Friday. Four starts everywhere and another eight are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies Coming Out Friday, August 19th:
Movie: Conan the Barbarian (R)
Starring: Jason Momoa, Rachel Nichols, Stephen Lang, Rose McGowan, Saïd Taghmaoui & Ron Perlman
Genre: Fantasy Action Adventure
Synopsis: Conan sets out for revenge and his journey turns into a battle to save Hyboria from being overtaken by a supernatural evil.
First Thoughts: Will probably see it at some point, but not super excited about it. Definitely won’t be seeing it in 3-D.
Movie: Fright Night (R)
Starring: Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, David Tennant, Imogen Poots & Toni Collette
Genre: Horror Comedy
Synopsis: A high school senior with everything going his way starts to notice strange things happening next door after a new neighbor moves. Nobody else seems to notice, but he starts to believe he is living next door to a vampire and sets out to prove it and then get rid of him.
First Thoughts: Never seen the original and this remake doesn’t interest me either. It’s also available in 3-D.
Movie: One Day (PG-13)
Starring: Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess, Romola Garai, Rafe Spall & Ken Stott
Genre: Romance Drama
Synopsis: For 20 years, an idealist and a wealthy playboy reunite on the 15th day of July.
First Thoughts: It has Anne Hathaway in it, so will probably see it at some point.
Movie: Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (PG-13)
Starring: Jessica Alba, Joel McHale, Jeremy Piven, Alexa Vega & Daryl Sabara
Genre: Family Adventure
Synopsis: A retired former spy now married with stepchildren is called back into duty when a villain threatens to takeover the world. Two former spy kids along with the stepchildren end up having to save the day.
First Thoughts: It’s a scratch-n-sniff movie. 4-D? I’m waiting for the first 5-D movie.
Limited – New Movies Coming Out Friday, August 19th:
- 5 Days of War – War drama based on true events about a renegade American journalist that gets caught in the middle of the five day war between Russia and the Georgian Republic.
- Amigo – War drama about a Filipino leader that has to decide between keeping the peace while American troops occupy his village or join with his brother and son as part of the insurgency.
- Flypaper – Crime comedy starring Patrick Dempsey and Ashley Judd about a guy that attempts to protect the bank teller he is secretly in love with after two different groups rob her bank at the same time.
- Griff the Invisible – Comedy drama about a shy and awkward office worker who assumes a superhero identity at night and what happens after he meets and falls for a woman that has idiosyncrasies of her own.
- The Hedgehog – Comedy drama about a 12 year old girl contemplating suicide that has a change of heart after meeting some kindred spirits.
- The Last Circus – Black comedy set in 1937 Spain about a clown that is forced into militia duty during the Spanish Civil War and how his son years later wants to follow in his footsteps as a clown.
- Mozart’s Sister – Biographical drama.
- Programming the Nation? – Documentary about subliminal content.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are Conan the Barbarian, Fright Night, One Day and Spy Kids: All the Time in the World. Of the 12 new movies coming out Friday, which are you most looking forward to seeing this weekend? I’m going to try and catch-up with Captain America: The First Avenger and Rise of the Planet of the Apes this weekend.