There are 14 new movies in the theaters Friday. Four open nationwide and another 10 open on a limited basis.
Don’t forget to enter our The Iron Lady DVD giveaway by Friday, April 27th.
Nationwide – New Movies in Theaters Friday, April 27th:
Movie: The Five-Year Engagement (R)
Starring: Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Alison Brie, Chris Pratt & Rhys Ifans
Genre: Romantic Comedy Drama
Synopsis: A couple gets engaged and then life events keep getting in the way of planning the wedding.
First Thoughts: Love the cast and I enjoyed Director and co-writer Nicolas Stoller and star and co-writer Jason Segel’s previous collaboration, “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” so actually looking forward to this one.
Movie: The Pirates! Band of Misfits (PG)
Starring: Hugh Grant, Brendan Gleeson, Martin Freeman, David Tennant & Imelda Staunton
Genre: Animated Family Comedy
Synopsis: A pirate captain sails around hoping to best his pirate rivals and win the title of Pirate of the Year. He and his ragtag crew have to battle an evil queen and more during their journey.
First Thoughts: Might be fun for the little ones, but the trailer actually has an odd level of violence for what I would assume is the target audience. It is also available in 3-D.
Movie: The Raven (R)
Starring: John Cusack, Luke Evans, Alice Eve, Brendan Gleeson, Kevin McNally & Oliver Jackson-Cohen
Genre: Action Thriller
Synopsis: A madman starts murdering people in ways that seem to be inspired by the dark and twisted tales of Edgar Alan Poe. Poe is brought in by the police to help them get inside the mind of the killer and put a stop to him.
First Thoughts: This looks really good, like a dark sadistic version of TV’s Castle.
Movie: Safe (R)
Starring: Jason Statham, Catherine Chan, Chris Sarandon, Robert John Burke & Reggie Lee
Genre: Action Crime Thriller
Synopsis: A mixed martial arts fighter messes up a rigged fight, which causes him problems with the Russian Mafia. They make an example out of him by killing his family and anyone he attempts to make friends with. One day he sees a young girl being followed by the same people that killed his family and jumps in to protect her. She turns out to be a math prodigy that has been forced to work for the Triads. She has memorized a numerical code that the Russian mob, the Triad and some corrupt cops all want.
First Thoughts: It’s Statham kicking ass all over New York City, so I will definitely be seeing this one at some point. Probably soon.
Limited – New Movies in Theaters Friday, April 27th:
- 96 Minutes – Suspense thriller about a carjacking and the four kids that end up mixed up in the chaos it creates.
- Bernie – Comedy starring Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, and Matthew McConaughey about a funeral director that is beloved by all and his relationship with a rich older woman that most don’t like and his eventual surprise arrest for her murder after she is found to have died months earlier and nobody knew.
- The Broken Tower – Biographic drama starring James Franco about the life of American poet Hart Crane.
- Citizen Gangster – Crime drama about a man that returns home from WWII and finds his pursuits of Hollywood fame dashed. As he grows more desperate to support his family, he begins robbing banks.
- Elles – Drama about an investigative reporter for Elle magazine and her pursuits of a story about student prostitution and where it takes her in her own life.
- The Giant Mechanical Man – Romantic comedy starring Jenna Fischer about a woman in her early 30s that is being pushed to date a self-help guru by her family, but falls for a street performer.
- Headhunters – Action suspense thriller about a successful headhunter in Norway that is married to an art gallery owner and living to big for his means. So, he begins stealing art on the side.
- Mamitas – Drama about a cocky young kid in school, but doting son that can’t seem to get things right at home and the no-nonsense bookish girl he meets after being suspended and the friendship that develops.
- Sound of My Voice – Drama about a couple that makes documentaries and their infiltration of a a mysterious group with intentions of exposing what goes on their and freeing the followers, but things don’t go as planned.
- Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale – Drama about an uprising against Japanese rule in Taiwan in 1930.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are The Five-Year Engagement, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, The Raven and Safe. Of the 14 new movies in theaters Friday, what looks good to you?