There are 12 new movies on Friday. Three are opening everywhere and another nine are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies on Friday, May 6th:
Movie: Jumping the Broom (PG-13)
Starring: Angela Bassett, Paula Patton, Laz Alonso & Loretta Devine
Genre: Comedy Drama
Synopsis: When two families from different backgrounds come together for a wedding in Martha’s Vineyard and things don’t exactly go as planned.
First Thoughts: It actually looks like it might be good. Check out the trailer below and let me know what you think.
Movie: Something Borrowed (PG-13)
Starring: Kate Hudson, Ginnifer Goodwin, John Krasinski, Colin Egglesfield & Steve Howey
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: The always the good girl is still single at 30. She has lived in the shadow of her very outgoing and longtime friend. After a night of partying, she wakes up to find she slept with her friend’s fiance, the guy she has been secretly in love with for sometime. What will she do regarding her friendship, as things turn into an affair?
First Thoughts: While this has a fantastic cast, I just don’t get the appeal of a love story that includes lying and cheating. What about you?
Movie: Thor (PG)
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgård, Colm Feore, Ray Stevenson & Idris Elba
Genre: Superhero Fantasy Adventure
Synopsis: The reckless action of the might and arrogant Thor reawaken an ancient war. His punishment is to be cast down to Earth to live with humans. He comes to find what it means to be a real hero after a dangerous villain from his world sends down dark forces of Asgard to destroy Earth.
First Thoughts: I don’t no much about Thor, but this looks really good and I can’t wait to see this movie on Friday. It seems to be getting pretty good buzz from those that have screened it already. It is also available in 3D and IMAX 3D.
Limited – New Movies Coming Friday, May 6th:
- The Beaver – Psychological drama starring Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster about a depressed father that begins to only speak through a puppet.
- Daydream Nation – Romantic Dramedy about a 17-year-old girl that moves with her father to a small town after her mother dies and the bizarre love triangle that develops between her, another student and their teacher.
- Forks Over Knives – Documentary about two doctors and their research into preventing disease by eating a whole foods, plant based diet.
- Hobo With a Shotgun – Action thriller starring Rutger Hauer and the title pretty much explains what you’ll see.
- An Invisible Sign – Coming-of-age drama starring Jessica Alba as a math teacher.
- Last Night – Romantic drama starring Keira Knightley Sam Worthington and Eva Mendes.
- Octubre – Drama about a friendless man that hires a woman to help him take care of a baby he found abandoned at his home.
- Passion Play – Romantic fantasy drama starring Mickey Rourke, Megan Fox and Bill Murray about an angel that is saved by a down on his luck trumpet player.
- There Be Dragons – Psychological drama about an investigative journalist traveling to Spain to research a book about the founder of Opus Dei and the secrets he uncovers in his own family while doing so.
There are three new movies playing in my area this week. They are Jumping the Broom, Something Borrowed, and Thor. What new movies on Friday will you be heading out to see?