There are 11 new movies releasing Labor Day Weekend 2011. One movie starts everywhere on Wednesday and another two start Friday. Eight are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movie Releasing Wednesday, August 31st:
Movie: The Debt (R)
Starring: Helen Mirren, Sam Worthington, Jessica Chastain, Jesper Christensen & Marton Csokas
Genre: Psychological Spy Thriller
Synopsis: In 1999, shocking news comes to two retired Mossad secret agents about a former colleague. They all were part of a mission back in 1966 where they were sent to track down a Nazi war criminal. They accomplished their mission, or did they? The story is told in both time periods.
First Thoughts: Fantastic cast and an interesting sounding story. Looking forward to it.
Nationwide – New Movies Releasing Friday, September 2nd:
Movie: Apollo 18 (R)
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror
Synopsis: Officially, Apollo 17, launched December 17th, 1972 was the last manned mission to the moon. But in December of 1974, two American astronauts were sent on a secret mission to the moon funded by the US Department of Defense. What you are about to see is the actual footage which the astronauts captured on that mission. While NASA denies its authenticity, others say it’s the real reason we’ve never gone back to the moon.
First Thoughts: It’s another found footage movie that I will probably never see.
Movie: Shark Night (R)
Starring: Sara Paxton, Dustin Milligan & Chris Carmack
Genre: Suspense Thriller
Synopsis: A group of college students head to a lake-island cabin for a fun weekend in the sun. Not long after, one of them comes out of the water with a bad wound. They think it was a freak accident and hop in the boat and head for the hospital, only to find out that the lake is full of sharks, massive hungry sharks.
First Thoughts: Could not care less. It’s also available in 3-D.
Limited – New Movies Releasing for Labor Day Weekend:
- Bodyguard – Actioner about a coed trying to escape her bodyguard, but her attempts alway backfire. Starts Wednesday, August 31st.
- Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame – Martial arts mystery about an Empress that is haunted by a chilling murder mystery: seven men under her command have burst into flames. She goes to the infamous Dee Renjie: a man whose unparalleled wisdom is matched only by his martial arts skills. He battles a series of bizarre dangers and unveils a chilling truth that places his life, and the future of an entire dynasty, in peril. Starts Friday, September 2nd.
- Gainsbourg: A Historic Life – Drama about the life of French singer Serge Gainsbourg. Starts Wednesday, August 31st.
- A Good Old Fashioned Orgy – Comedy starring Jason Sedeikis and Leslie Bibb about a group of friends that decide to throw one last bash before the place in the Hamptons is sold. Starts Friday, September 2nd.
- Love Crime – Psychological thriller about a ruthless corporate executive and her protégé and their vicious battle for supremacy.
- Saving Private Perez – Crime comedy about the most powerful man in Mexico and his gathering a group of soldiers to go liberate his brother in Iraq.
- Seven Days in Utopia – Sports drama starring Robert Duvall and Melissa Leo about a young golfer that has a really bad day on his first big chance to get to the pro tour and how he recovers from it with the help of an old rancher.
- Hellraiser: Revelation/Zombie Diaries 2: World of the Dead – Horror double feature.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are Apollo 18, The Debt, Seven Days in Utopia, and Shark Night. Of the 11 new movies releasing for Labor Day Weekend 2011, which are you most looking forward to seeing?