There are 13 new movies this Friday. Four start everywhere and another nine are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies This Friday, October 28th:
Movie: Anonymous (PG-13)
Starring: Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave, Sebastian Armesto, Rafe Spall & David Thewlis
Synopsis: An Elizabethan-era playwright is being tortured into telling whether the Earl of Oxford was really the person behind the plays of William Shakespeare.
First Thoughts: Could not care less.
Movie: In Time (PG-13)
Starring: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy, Vincent Kartheiser & Olivia Wilde
Genre: Sci-Fi Action Drama
Synopsis: In a world where the wealthy can live forever and time is actually money, a poor man that barely survives from one day to the next gets a huge gift of time after helping save a rich man from time thieves. But, a large transaction like that gets the attention of those in charge and he ends up falsely accused of murdering the man that gave him the time, so he has to go on the run to prove his innocence.
First Thoughts: I have a feeling that this movie isn’t going to be very good, but the concept is very intriguing.
Movie: Puss in Boots (PG)
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Zach Galifianakis, Billy Bob Thornton & Amy Sedaris
Genre: Animated Family Fantasy
Synopsis: Before Puss in Boots ever met Shrek he was run out of town for a crime that was committed by his friend, Humpty Dumpty. While they don’t get along, they team up to steal the goose that lays the golden eggs. The notorious cat burglar known as Kitty Softpaws joins them.
First Thoughts: Probably will be a lot of fun for the family set. Doesn’t really interest me, even though Puss in Boots reminds me of an updated version of Peppy Le Pew that is both a fighter and a lover. Also available in 3-D and IMAX 3-D.
Movie: The Rum Diary (R)
Starring: Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Rispoli, Amber Heard, Richard Jenkins & Giovanni Ribisi
Genre: Period Drama
Synopsis: A man tired of the what New York has become in the late Eisenhower-era America decides to head down to Puerto Rico and write for the local newspaper. A businessman wants to recruit him to write good things about his latest scheme to turn Puerto Rico into a capitalist paradise. Will he do so or will he decide to take him down, as he has become enchanted with the man’s very attractive wife.
First Thoughts: Looks like a wild ride.
Limited – New Movies Playing Friday, October 21st:
- 13 – Suspense thriller starring Mickey Rourke and Jason Statham about a guy that ends up in the middle of an underworld Russian roulette competition.
- All’s Faire in Love – Romantic comedy starring Christina Ricci about a couple that find each other in the midst of a competition to take the coveted Shakespearean stage at a Renaissance Faire.
- And They’re Off… – Comedy about a horse trainer down on his luck that tries to turn things around by hiring his erratic ex-girlfriend as his new jockey.
- The Double – Suspense thriller starring Richard Gere, Topher Grace and Martin Sheen about the murder of a U.S. Senator that looks suspiciously like the work of former top Russian assassin.
- Inkubus – Horror movie about a demon taunting a cop that almost caught him.
- Janie Jones – Drama starring Abigail Breslin and Elizabeth Shue about a musician that loves the rock and roll lifestyle and how he deals with the arrival of the 13 year old daughter he didn’t know he had.
- Like Crazy – Romantic drama about a couple that meet at college, but then have to deal with maintaining a long distance relationship after one has to return to her home country.
- My Reincarnation – Documentary about the high Tibetan Buddhist Master, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, and his western-born son, Yeshi.
- Silver Bullets – Horror movie about a young actress that will never be the same after she lands on role on a werewolf movie.
There are five new movies playing in my area this week. They are All’s Faire in Love, Anonymous, In Time, Puss in Boots and The Rum Diary. Of the 13 new movies this Friday, which ones are you looking forward to watching?