There are 16 upcoming movie releases for Friday. Three start everywhere and another 13 are in limited release.
Nationwide – Upcoming Movie Releases for Friday, September 9th:
Movie: Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (R)
Starring: Nick Swardson, Christina Ricci, Don Johnson & Stephen Dorff
Genre: Sex Comedy
Synopsis: A Midwest kid heads for Hollywood after he learns his parents were porn stars and he wants to follow in their footsteps.
First Thoughts: This looks terrible. One “small” laugh in the trailer and somehow I don’t think they are holding back the good stuff for the movie watcher.
Movie: Contagion (PG-13)
Starring: Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Bryan Cranston, Jennifer Ehle & Sanaa Lathan
Synopsis: A woman returns from a trip to Hong Kong and just thinks she is worn down from her journey, but two days later she dies and the doctors can’t tell her husband what she died from. Then others start to show the same symptoms she had and it’s the beginning of a global pandemic. Doctors attempt to contain the problems, but things keeping getting worse.
First Thoughts: The cast is fantastic and the subject matter is scarier than any recent horror movie has to offer. Will probably see it at some point. It is also available in IMAX.
Movie: Warrior (PG-13)
Starring: Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, Jennifer Morrison, Frank Grillo & Nick Nolte
Genre: Sports Drama
Synopsis: Two brothers that haven’t seen each other since kids and their family was torn apart by a father who was drunk all the time in up in the ring against each other in a Mixed Martial Arts tournament. One is an ex-Marine that can’t shake his past. The other is a high school physics teacher and former MMA fighter with bills mounting. The two each have their own reasons for trying to get into the tournament, but the biggest battle might not be in the ring.
First Thoughts: It’s really, really good and definitely worth seeing. Will try to have a full review up early Friday morning.
Limited – Upcoming Film Releases for Friday, September 9th:
- The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 – The black power movement in the United States as documented by Swedish journalists.
- Burke and Hare – Black comedy set in 1828 Edinburg and starring Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis about two Irish entrepreneurs that begin robbing graves after they learn how much medical professors are willing to pay for them and the local legitimate supply doesn’t meet demand.
- Creature – Horror film about a group of friends in Louisiana that unearth a monster from the swamps.
- Grave Encounters – Horror film about a television crew that produces a show about ghostly encounters that learns the building they are filming in is alive and out to kill them.
- Inside Out – Crime drama starring Michael Rapaport and Triple H about a man that gets out of jail after 13 years and wants to start fresh and his friend that gets him messed up in that leaves him wanted by the cops and the mob.
- Laugh At My Pain – Standup comedy from comic Kevin Hart and his 2011 comedy tour of the same name.
- Main Street – Drama starring Colin Firth about a stranger that gets involved in a small town with his controversial way to say it from crumbling.
- Mere Brother Ki Duhan – Romantic comedy musical about a guy that falls for his brother’s soon to be bride.
- One Fall – Fantasy drama about a guy that survives a high fall and develops the ability to cure people during his recovery. He first tries to hide it, but then decides to profit from it.
- Shaolin – Martial arts movie about a guy on the wrong path that ends up on the right side of things after hiding out with the Shaolin Monks.
- Tanner Hall – Drama a girl in her senior year at private school and what happens after an old childhood acquaintance begins attending and shakes things up.
- We Were Here – Documentary about the effects of AIDS on the gay community in San Francisco.
- Where Soldiers Come From – Documentary that follows three childhood friends from boot camp to Afghanistan after they all joing the National Guard after high school.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, Contagion, Creature, and Warrior. Of the 13 upcoming movie releases for Friday, which are you looking forward to seeing this weekend?