This week is the invasion of the superbad last legion on the big screen, as there are nine new movies being released. Three open wide and six are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, August 17th:
Movie: The Invasion (PG-13)
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Jeffrey Wright & Jeremy Northam
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror Thriller
Synopsis: When the space shuttle crashes under mysterious circumstances, it is discovered that there was something alien in the wreckage. People who come in contact with it change and become unfeeling and inhuman. A psychiatrist and her friend find the real truth of the growing epidemic, as it continues to attack people while they sleep. Now she just needs to stay awake and find her son, who make hold the key to putting an end to the devastation.
First Thoughts: This remake of a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers has a top-notch cast, but will it be enough to get moviegoers to invade the theaters.
Movie: The Last Legion (PG-13) (Read Review)
Starring: Aishwarya Rai, Colin Firth & Ben Kingsley
Genre: Historical Epic
Synopsis: Twelve year old Romulus Augustus is the last emperor of Rome and after its fall is now a prisoner on the island of Capri. A wise teacher, Ambrosinus, and his legionnaire, Aurelius, help him to escape from Capri. After doing so, he and his men head to Britannia in search of the fabled Dragon Legion and what is now known as the beginning of the Arthurian legend. Based on Valerio Massimo Manfredi’s book.
First Thoughts: This has not been a good time of year for the historical epic in recent years, but maybe this one is actually good, or maybe those having seen 300 earlier this year will be looking for something similar on the big screen this go around.
Movie: Superbad (R)
Starring: Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader & Seth Rogen
Synopsis: Two high school seniors are out to score at a graduation party. They attempt to score some booze and pick up some babes and join the in-crowd, but they get separated and when two bored cops get involved, their mission will be in jeopardy.
First Thoughts: Jude Apatow, the guy behind Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin, produced it, so maybe this won’t be as super bad as it looks.
Movies in Limited Release this Friday:
- The 11th Hour – Leo DeCaprio tells us the world will soon come to an end.
- Death at a Funeral – Black comedy about wacky family interactions at the funeral their father.
- Delirious – Comedy satire starring Steve Buscemi as a paparazzi photographer that wants to be a real photographer that takes on a homeless man as his assistant and hands out life lessons and amusing anecdotes along the way.
- The King of Kong – Documentary about two guys competing to be in the 2007 Guinness Book of World Records for having the highest score playing Donkey Kong.
- Love for Sale – Story about a single mother in Brazil and her struggle to get her and her son out of their hometown.
- Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) – Political biography of how class warfare and corruption are bringing down Brazilian society, as seen through the eyes of wealthy businessmen.
The movies Artic Tale and The Ten expand this weekend.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies at a theater near me this week. They are The Invasion, The Last Legion, Superbad and Death at a Funeral. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?