Eight new movies come out Friday. Two open everywhere and another six are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies Coming Friday, August 5th:
Movie: The Change-Up (R)
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Jason Bateman, Leslie Mann, Olivia Wilde & Alan Arkin
Synopsis: Two long time friends are not as close as they used to be, as one has a wife and family and the other is a serial bachelor. One is hardworking and the other a total slacker. Both think the other has it made and after a night of drinking and a little wizzful thinking, they wake up the next morning in the other’s body. They find that things aren’t necessarily better for the other as they scramble to return things to normal.
First Thoughts: It’s very funny, but too often goes for shock and misses terribly. Will have a full review up soon.
Movie: Rise of the Planet of the Apes (PG-13)
Starring: James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Andy Serkis & Brian Cox
Genre: Sci-Fi Action
Synopsis: A scientist is working on a cure for Alzheimer’s in hopes of helping his father. His project is thought to have been a failure and he gets custody of a young chimp that was exposed to his therapy before being born. As the chimp grows, he seems to be able to do things that a chimp shouldn’t be able to do. Experiments continue in secret until the chimp begins to represent a threat to mankind.
First Thoughts: The special f/x look phenomenal.
Limited – New Movies Coming Out Friday, August 5th:
- Bellflower – Psychological drama about a couple of friends that spend their time preparing for the apocalypse, but after making some new friends end up on a trip that is more violent than they could have ever imagined.
- Gun Hill Road – Family drama about a man that gets out of prison and attempts to put his family and life back together, but finds his son’s sexual transformation hard to deal with.
- Magic Trip – Documentary about Ken Kessey, the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and his 1964 cross-country road trip and those they were with him.
- Mysteries of Lisbon – Period drama.
- The Perfect Age of Rock ‘n’ Roll – Road movie about a musician that hits it big, but then succumbs to the sophomore slump. After returning home he reconnects with an old friend and collaborator. They, along with his band and manager, head off on a trip to find what made the first album a success.
- The Whistleblower – Thriller based on a true events starring Rachel Weisz about a cop that becomes a U.N. Peacekeeper in Bosnia and uncovers huge sex trafficking scandal. I saw this during the Seattle International Film Festival and it is very much worth going to see if it is playing in you area. Great performance by Weisz.
There are two new movies playing in my area this week. They are The Change-Up and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Eight new movies come out Friday, which ones are you going to see this weekend?