Eight new movies open this Friday. Three open wide and five are in limited release.
Movies Opening Nationwide on Friday, June 1st:
Movie: Gracie (PG-13)
Starring: Carly Schroeder, Elisabeth Shue, Dermot Mulroney and Andrew Shue
Genre: Family Sports Drama
Synopsis: Based on events and experiences of the Shue Family growing up in the 1970s. The story revolves around a family obsessed with soccer that loses the oldest brother. The sister decides that she wants to play soccer in her brother’s place on the varsity team. This idea is met with many roadblocks, including from her father, rest of the family, school and friends.
First Thoughts: Who doesn’t like a sports movie where the main character overcomes all the odds and performs like people say they couldn’t.
Movie: Knocked Up (R)
Starring: Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: A journalist on the rise heads out to celebrate a promotion and after a one-night stand her life changes. She hooks up with an irresponsible slacker. She wants to give him chance to step up and help her raise the child. Can he show he is really father material? He doesn’t know if he is ready to be a parent. Both of them wonder if they are compatible partners.
First Thoughts: It is from the people behind The 40 Year-Old Virgin and looks like it is pretty funny. That movie was crude with a heart, so if they can find that happy medium again, they could have another hit on their hands.
Movie: Mr. Brooks (R) (Read Review)
Starring: Kevin Costner, Dane Cook, Demi Moore and William Hurt
Synopsis: The story of a family man and pillar of the community who is actually quite a flawed individual, as he is a sadistic killer. He wants to quit but just can’t. Detective that has her own problems is trying to figure out who is committing these murders. After being seen by a voyeur that then wants to know what it is like to do what he does. An extremely dangerous game plays out.
First Thoughts: The TV commercials for the film promise twists that you won’t see coming. This is a promise that a lot of films make and very few pay it off very well.
Movies in Limited Release this Week:
- Crazy Love – A biographic film examination of the bizarre love affair in the 1950s of Burt Pugach and Linda Riss.
- Day Watch – Sci-fi supernatural thriller about a man that fights in the battle between light and dark that finds a device that could restore Moscow after an apocalypse.
- Pierrepoint – Political drama about a man who finds great fame and notoriety as a public executioner in Britain, but at the peak of his popularity he starts to question what he is doing at the same time a group start trying to outlaw the practice of hanging.
- Rise: Blood Hunter – Lucy Liu (Code Name: The Cleaner, TV’s Ally McBeal) as a reporter investigating a cult and ends up becoming a victim. When she awakes with a taste for blood in the morgue she vows to hunt down those who did this to her and his helped by a cop played by Michael Chiklis (The Fantastic Four, TV’s The Shield).
- The Trials of Darryl Hunt – The story of a man wrongfully convicted of a rape/murder in the south.
For New Movie Friday there are four of these to choose from for Friday. Gracie, Knocked Up, Mr. Brooks and Rise: Blood Hunter are playing in theaters in the area. It is nice to have a week without a threquel on the marquee. What new movie will you be heading out to see this weekend?