This Friday is sort of a lull before we get Quantum of Solace next week and Twilight the week after, at least to me it is anyway. So, what’s hitting theaters this week? There are nine movies opening, three everywhere and six others in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, November 7th:
Movie: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (PG)
Starring: Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer & Andy Richter
Genre: Animated Family Comedy
Synopsis: The castaways have fixed the plane and are able to fly off the island, but only make it to the plains of Africa. They all come in contact with species of their own kind for the first time in the wild. Africa may be great, but is the Central Park Zoo actually where they want to be?
First Thoughts: If you like the previous, then you will probably like this one. Also available in IMAX.
Movie: Role Models (R)
Starring: Seann William Scott, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Christopher Mintz-Plasse & Bobb’e J. Thompson
Synopsis: Two guys trash one of their company’s trucks and get arrested. They can either go to jail or do 150 hours of community service. They choose the service. They end up as part of a mentorship program for kids. After lots of screw-ups, they finally do the right thing and try and help these kids.
First Thoughts: It’s probably not very good, but it is still the movie I am going to go see this weekend. The trailer actually does provide a few laughs, which is why I think the movie won’t be that good.
Movie: Soul Men (R)
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Bernie Mac, Sharon Leal, Adam Herschman & Sean Hayes
Synopsis: Two former members of a band reunite to try and honor their old bandleader, but old problems come up while they do.
First Thoughts: It has Samuel L. Jackson and Bernie Mac, but I have heard and seen next to nothing about this one, which leads me to believe that the studio thinks is probably isn’t very good either.
Movies in Limited Release:
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas – The story of a forbidden friendship between two boys during WWII. One a jewish boy being held captive and the other the son of a Nazi commandant.
- House – Supernatural thriller about two couple stranded in the rural south.
- JCVD – Crime comedy starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as himself.
- Pray the Devil Back to Hell – Documentary about Liberia in the early 2000s and those who protested the dictator and the protracted street to street warfare taking place.
- Repo! The Genetic Opera – Horror musical about a biotech company harvesting organs.
- The World Unseen – Set in 1950s, a woman subverts her Indian cultural traditions to run a business with her “colored” partner and then falls for a woman.
The High School Musical 3: Senior Year Sing-Along also comes to theaters this week.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies to choose from this week. They are House, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Role Models, and Soul Men. What new movie looks good to you this week?