I ended up seeing Appaloosa last week, as it had expanded to be showing in this area. Was disappointed, as it was nowhere near as good as advertised. Wish I had gone and saw Nick & Norah’s Infinite Play List like I was originally planning on.
Well, let’s take a look at what is playing this week. There are 14 movies hitting theaters, with four opening everywhere and 10 others in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, October 10th:
Movie: Body of Lies (R)
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe, Mark Strong, Golshifteh Farahani & Oscar Isaac
Genre: Political Action Thriller
Synopsis: CIA operative thinks he has uncovered a major lead on a terrorist leader that may be operating out of Jordan. He comes up with a plan to get inside the terrorist network, but has to work with a veteran CIA agent and the head of Jordanian intelligence. He doesn’t know how much he can trust either of them. It is based on Washington Post columnist David Ignatius’ novel.
First Thoughts: It’s got DeCaprio and Crowe and political thrillers like these always interest me. It’s going to be a tough choice between this and The Express.
Movie: City of Ember (PG)
Starring: Bill Murray, Saoirse Ronan, Harry Treadaway, Tim Robbins & Martin Landau
Genre: Adventure Family Fantasy
Synopsis: The City of Ember has been powered by a powerful generator, but it is starting to fail. The once beautifully bright world may soon be no more. Two teenagers set out to find the answers to how this city came about and get the citizens out before it is too late.
First Thoughts: Doesn’t interest me, but if you’ve got kids, it may be worth checking out.
Movie: The Express (R)
Starring: Rob Brown, Dennis Quaid, Omar Benson Miller, Darrin Dewitt Henson & Charles S. Dutton
Genre: Biographical Sports Drama
Synopsis: The story of Ernie Davis, who was born into poverty and overcame many obstacles to play football at Syracuse University. His coach was Ben Schwartzwalder and under his tutelage, Davis became one of the best players on the team and surpassed the achievements of the great Jim Brown. He was the first black player to win a Heisman Trophy.
First Thoughts: Who doesn’t love a good sports movie? It is such a tough choice for me between this and Body of Lies.
Movie: Quarantine (R)
Starring: Columbus Short, Jay Hernandez, Johnathon Schaech, Jennifer Carpenter & Steve Harris
Synopsis: A reporter and her cameraman are following the night shift at a LA Fire Station. They head out on a call to an apartment building. Screams are coming from the building and the police are already on scene. It seems that someone living there has been infected by something. The residents are trying to escape along with the news crew, but they get trapped inside when the CDC quarantines the facility. They are cutoff from everything. There is no phones, power, TV, etc. When the quarantine is revoked, the only thing they find is the videotape left behind by the news crew.
First Thoughts: Horror movies are just not my thing, but even if they were, this one looks pretty dumb.
Movies in Limited Release:
- Ashes of Time Redux – Foreign action adventure with subtitles.
- Breakfast With Scot – Drama starring Tom Cavanagh (TV’s Ed) about a guy living off being a former hockey player as a sports commentator whose partner announces they are taking in a young boy, which turns his life upside down.
- Choose Connor – Political drama about exploiting a young child for political gain.
- Fraude: Mexico 2006 – Documentary about the 2006 presidential elections in Mexico.
- Happy-Go-Lucky – Comedy drama about a London school teacher that doesn’t let things get her down.
- Ice Blues: A Donald Strachey Mystery – Suspense thriller.
- Lola Montes – Biographical period drama about the king of Bavaria in the 19th century.
- Lower Learning – Comedy about an elementary school that has left everyone behind. When the school is about to be closed, a teacher and the person in charge of the closure hatch a plan to save the school.
- RocknRolla – Action caper comedy revolving around a crooked land deal the everyone wants in on.
- Saving Marriage – Documentary.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies to choose from this week. They are Body of Lies, City of Ember, The Express, and Quarantine. What new movie looks good to you this week?