There are nine new movies opening for Christmas 2011. Three are opening nationwide on Wednesday and another one on Friday. Five are opening on a limited basis.
Nationwide – Movies That Open Wednesday, December 21st:
Movie: The Adventures of Tintin (PG)
Starring: Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost & Simon Pegg
Synopsis: Tintin discovers that the model ship in a bottle that he just bought holds the clue to a hidden treasure. But, before he can go after it, he ends up in the custody of a drunken captain. A shady character and an American are both after the bottle as well. Adventure ensues.
First Thoughts: Haven’t been a fan of this style of animation in the past, but this looks like it might be pretty entertaining. It is also being released in 3-D and IMAX 3-D.
Movie: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (R)
Starring: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, Steven Berkoff & Robin Wright
Synopsis: A journalist and a computer hacker end up investigating a case involving a woman that disappeared 40 years ago.
First Thoughts: I’ve never read the book, but have seen the original Swedish adaptation, which I enjoyed quite a bit, even though I don’t like having to read my movies via subtitles. Am looking forward to seeing this American version.
Movie: Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (PG-13)
Starring: Tom Cruise, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner & Michael Nyqvist
Genre: Action Adventure
Synopsis: After a terrorist attack on the Kremlin, the IMF team is disavowed. They must go completely off the grid to figure out how they were setup and clear their names and along the way prevent another attack.
First Thoughts: Been looking forward to this one ever since it was first announced. It’s also available in IMAX.
Nationwide – Movies That Open Friday, December 23rd:
Movie: We Bought a Zoo (PG)
Starring: Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson, Thomas Haden Church, Colin Ford & Maggie Elizabeth Jones
Synopsis: A man that recently lost his wife moves his family to the country and learns that the property he purchased is actually a wildlife park. Even though it has been closed, it still has animals and people that care for them. Everyone works to reopen the zoo.
First Thoughts: Probably will see this at some point, but not high on my list.
Limited – New Movies Opening Before Christmas 2011:
- Albert Nobbs – Drama starring Gleen Close about a butler that is really a she and wants to keep that secret under wraps in 19th century Ireland. Opens Wednesday, December 21st.
- Don 2 – Action thriller about a guy that has defeated the Asian underworld and is now set on doing the same thing in Europe. Opens Friday, December 23rd.
- In the Land of Blood and Honey – War drama about a Bosnian Serb police officer and a Bosnian Muslim artist that are lovers before the war, but end up on opposite sides after the war begins. Opens Friday, December 23rd.
- Pina – Dance film. Opens Friday, December 23rd.
- Miss Minoes – Fantasy comedy about a cat that gets turned into a human woman and then helps a journalists investigate a bogus animal rights organization. Opens Friday, December 23rd.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are The Adventures of Tintin, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol and We Bought a Zoo. Nine new movies open for Christmas 2011, what will you be heading out to the theater to see this week?