There are 16 new movies this Friday. Four start everywhere and another 12 are in limited release.
Nationwide – What New Movies Play Friday, October 21st:
Movie: Johnny English Reborn (PG)
Starring: Rowan Atkinson, Gillian Anderson, Rosamund Pike, Dominic West & Daniel Kaluuya
Genre: Spy Comedy
Synopsis: While trying to recuperate from a mission that didn’t go well, British agent English gets a call to take on another mission that only he is equipped. He and a new partner attempt to stop the assassination of the Chinese premier.
First Thoughts: I like Rowan Atkinson. He is hilarious as Mr. Bean, but never got around to seeing the first one of these, which is likely to happen again.
Movie: The Mighty Macs (PG-13)
Starring: Carla Gugino, David Boreanaz, Ellen Burstyn & Marley Shelton
Genre: Sports Drama
Synopsis: Based on the true story of Cathy Rush, who was a woman ahead of her time in 1971. She gets hired as the coach of tiny Immaculata College, where they have no gym, no fan support and no money. She takes on the challenge of competing against perennial powerhouses.
First Thoughts: Will probably see this at some point, but not in theaters.
Movie: Paranormal Activity 3 (R)
Genre: Supernatural Horror
Synopsis: Two sisters in 1988 have a normal happy childhood until strange things start happening at their home. Their father, who shoots wedding videos, decides to try and record them, but he and his family are unprepared to learn what is really going on.
First Thoughts: Had no interest in the previous two and that interest level has been maintained for the third one.
Movie: The Three Musketeers (2011) (PG-13)
Starring: Logan Lerman, Milla Jovovich, Matthew MacFadyen, Ray Stevenson, Luke Evans & Mads Mikkelsen
Genre: Action Adventure
Synopsis: D’Artagnan seeks out the king’s elite guardsmen, the Musketeers, in hopes of joining them. He meets Athos, Porthos and Aramis, who are three of the king’s finest, but they have been laid low by the betrayal of Milady De Winter. D’Artagnan and his new friends set out to stop Cardinal Richelieu’s plan to overthrow the monarchy and become king himself.
First Thoughts: The basic plot synopsis sounds like the same basic plotline of the original story on which it is based, but watching the trailer it looks a bit over the top from what you would expect. Yet, I’m going to see it anyway.
Limited – New Movies Playing Friday, October 21st:
- Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey – Documentary about Kevin Clash, the hand behind Elmo that chronicles his journey from when he was a kid to present day.
- Elevate – Documentary about the SEEDS Academy in Dakar, Senegal, where the best young basketball players from across West Africa gather to take part in a strenuous program of academics and athletic training.
- Klitschko – The lives and careers of Vitali and Wlad.
- The Last Ride – Based on the true story of Hank Williams.
- Le Havre – Comedy drama.
- Margin Call – Suspense thriller starring Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Penn Badgley and Simon Baker about a financial firm in 2008 at the beginning of the financial crisis.
- Martha Marcy May Marlene – Psychological drama about a woman that escapes from a cult and how what happened to her there shapes her outlook. Plus, she believes the dangerous leader is trying to find her.
- Norman – Story of a high school loner dealing with the death of his mother and the impeding death of his father by telling everyone that he has the same cancer as his father and how that lie spins out of control.
- Oranges and Sunshine – The story of Margaret Humphreys and how she uncovered the scandal of the deportation of children from the United Kingdom to Australia.
- Retreat – Suspense thriller about a couple at an island retreat that deal with the story of a killer disease that is sweeping across Europe after a man washes up on shore.
- Revenge of the Electric Car – Documentary about four entries in the race to create a viable alternative to traditional gas- or diesel-powered vehicles.
- Snowmen – Family comedy coming of age story about three friends that set out to be remembered forever by setting a world record.
There are five new movies playing in my area this week. They are Johnny English Reborn, Margin Call, The Mighty Macs, Paranormal Activity 3 and The Three Musketeers (2011). Of the 15 new movies that play Friday, are there any you are looking forward to seeing?