There are nine movies opening this week. Two are opening everywhere and seven more open on a limited basis.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, April 16th:
Movie: Death at a Funeral (R)
Starring: Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Tracy Morgan, Danny Glover, Regina Hall & a host of others.
Genre: Comedy Farce
Synopsis: An American family sets out to lay their beloved husband and father to rest. As mourners begin to gather for the funeral, many shocking revelations, old resentments, threats, a little blackmail, and the wrong corpse unleash all kinds of mayhem.
First Thoughts: This looks disturbing, yet funny. But, mostly I wonder why a British movie from three years ago needs to be remade for an American audience, with Peter Dinklage apparently reprising his role from the first one. I probably won’t be seeing this one at the theater, but have added the British version to my Netflix queue.
Movie: Kick-Ass (R) (Read Review)
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage, Chloë Grace Moretz, Christopher Mintz-Plasse & Mark Strong
Genre: Superhero Action
Synopsis: An average teenager that loves comic-books decides to turn his obsession into reality and attempts to become a real-life superhero. He decides that “Kick-Ass” will be the name by which he goes and puts together a suit and mask to wear when he goes out to fight crime. The problem is, he doesn’t actually have any superpowers. Things change for him forever when his outings inspire a group of copy cats that includes an 11-year-old sword-wielding dynamo that goes by the name Hit Girl and her father, Big Daddy and he becomes friends with another wannabe superhero that goes by Red Mist. A local mob boss doesn’t like this new alliance and sets out to put an end to it.
First Thoughts: I go back and forth between thinking this looks like it could be fun and that it looks like it could be stupid. I am hoping for the latter, as I will be going to see it this Friday.
Movies in Limited Release:
- The City of Your Final Destination – Anthony Hopkins and Laura Linney star in this family drama about a writer’s family that tries to make sense of their lives after the author commits suicide.
- Exit Through the Gift Shop – A comedy by graffiti artist Banksy.
- Handsome Harry – Road movie starring Jamey Sheridan and Steve Buscemi about an electrician that has kept his rugged good looks into his 50s, but has never let anyone get close to him.
- The Joneses – David Duchovny and Demi Moore star in this comedy drama about family that lives very well with all the latest gadgets and gizmos, but find out who they really are after a disaster hits them.
- No One Knows About Persian Cats – Comedy drama about a couple of Iranian musicians looking for some backup players before a gig in London.
- The Perfect Game – A docudrama about a group of boys in Mexico with a love for sandlot baseball that are coached by an aspiring Major League coach that is suffering from discrimination.
- The Secret in Their Eyes – Suspense thriller about a retired court employee that sets out to solve a case he didn’t think was solved correctly, while he writes a book about it.
For New Movie Friday there are two new movies to choose from this week. They are Death at a Funeral and Kick-Ass. What new movie looks good to you this week?