There are 12 new movies that start Friday. Three open everywhere and another nine are in limited release.
Nationwide – What Movies Start Friday, July 29th:
Movie: Cowboys & Aliens (PG-13)
Starring: Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, Harrison Ford & Sam Rockwell
Genre: Sci-Fi Western
Synopsis: A cowboy wakes up with no memory of his past and a contraption on his wrist. He makes his way to the nearest town, where he finds he is a wanted man. But, when the town faces a much more daunting enemy, he and those that would do him harm have to work together to fight back against the demons from the sky. As things move along he begins to realize that he holds the key to possibly fending off the invaders and getting the town’s people back.
First Thoughts: I saw it last night and really liked it. Will have a full review posted early Friday morning.
Movie: Crazy, Stupid, Love. (PG-13)
Starring: Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone & Marisa Tomei
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: A guy that has everything, a good job, nice house, kids, and married to his high school sweetheart. But, after he finds out she cheated on him and wants a divorce, things go downhill fast. He meets a younger guy that does well with the ladies and seeks advice, which opens his eyes to the options at his disposal. Yet, he still pines for his old life.
First Thoughts: It looks kind of schmaltzy, but the cast is great. Probably will see it at some point.
Movie: The Smurfs (PG)
Starring: Hank Azaria, Neil Patrick Harris, Sofía Vergara, Jayma Mays, Tim Gunn, Jonathan Winters & Katy Perry
Genre: Family Comedy
Synopsis: The Smurfs get chased out of their world and into our by the evil wizard Gargamel and end up in New York City. They set out to figure out how they can get back to their village.
First Thoughts: I loved the Smurfs when I was a kid, but WTS? It’s also out in 3-D.
Limited – New Movies This Friday, July 29th:
- Attack the Block – Sci-fi actioner about that pits a teen gang against alien invaders. I really want to see this one.
- The Devil’s Double – Docudrama about a guy that is pulled from the army to become a body double for one of Saddam Hussein’s sons.
- The Future – Drama about a couple that adopts a stray cat that leads them to change their outlook on life and possibly literally altering the course of time and their view of each other.
- Good Neighbors – Psychological thriller about three neighbors that retreat indoors as violence continues to rise outside, but come to find that they may be in as much danger inside, as they all have a dark secret of their own.
- The Guard – Comedy thriller starring Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle about an Irish cop and an FBI agent that uncover police corruption during an investigation.
- The Harvest – Documentary about migrant workers.
- The Interrupters – Documentary about three Violence Interrupters in Chicago that try to protect their communities from the type of violence they once used themselves.
- Life in a Day – Videos taken all over the world from one day are compiled into a documentary about life on our planet. Another one I wanted to see during the Seattle International Film Festival, but didn’t get a chance to do so.
- Point Blank – French action thriller about a nurse that has his pregnant wife kidnapped and is told he has three hours to get a patient being held under guard in the hospital out or he will never see her again.
There are three new movies playing in my area this week. They are Cowboys & Aliens, Crazy, Stupid, Love., and The Smurfs. Of the 12 new movies starting Friday, what are you going to see this weekend?