This week there are eight new movies hitting the big screen. There are three opening everywhere and five in limited release. It is nice to be getting back to posting again.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, March 21st:
Movie: Drillbit Taylor (PG-13) (Read Review)
Starring: Owen Wilson, Danny R. McBride, Josh Peck, David Dorfman & Leslie Mann
Synopsis: Three less than cool kids are looking forward to the first day of school until they run into the school bully. Yet, they decide before things get totally out of hand that they will find some help with their problem. They do so by hiring a guy from an ad in Soldier of Fortune magazine. They end up hiring a homeless beach dweller that then trains them physically and mentally. Comedy ensues.
First Thoughts: It could be fun, as the main character seems to be right in Owen Wilson’s wheelhouse. Given the rest of what is playing this week, this is the only one that interests me even a little bit. The key will be to go in with low expectations and then hopefully be surprised by what shows up on screen.
Movie: Shutter (PG-13)
Starring: Joshua Jackson, Rachael Taylor, David Denman, John Hensley & James Kyson Lee
Synopsis: A couple of newlyweds start seeing some disturbing ghostly images showing up in the pictures they took after an accident. They decide to investigate further, which turns out not to be a good idea.
First Thoughts: Duh! Wow, a whole 85 minutes of attempted suspense and scariness. Well, I doubt it could be worse than One Missed Call from back in January.
Movie: Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns (PG-13)
Starring: Angela Bassett, Jenifer Lewis, David Mann, Tyler Perry & Rick Fox
Genre: Romantic Comedy Drama
Synopsis: A single mother that recently lost her job suddenly gets news that her father, which she had never met, just died. Having no real ties, she decides to move to Georgia and gets to know the members of her father’s family and may have also found a new romance too.
First Thoughts: Tyler Perry’s movies always do pretty well, but I have yet to see one, so probably won’t start with this one.
Movies in Limited Release:
- The Hammer – Sports comedy with Adam Carolla playing a loser that gets a shot to train with a famous boxing coach for a spot on the U.S. Olympic team.
- Irina Palm – Comedy drama that has a desperate 50-year-old widow unsuspectingly accepting a job in a sex club.
- Planet B-Boy – Goes inside the global resurgence of break dancing. Wholly 80s flashback, Batman!
- Race – Two brothers whose life is high stakes horse racing in South Africa end up on opposite sides.
- Under the Same Moon – The story of a single mother that leaves her kids with their grandmother while she attempts to cross the border into the U.S. illegally. Opened today.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies to choose from this week. They are Drillbit Taylor, The Hammer, Shutter and Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?