There are eight movies opening this week. Two are opening everywhere and six more open on a limited basis.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, May 21st:
Movie: MacGruber (R)
Starring: Will Forte, Kristen Wiig, Ryan Phillippe, Val Kilmer, Powers Boothe & Maya Rudolph
Genre: Action Spoof Comedy
Synopsis: There is one American hero that has become a Green Beret, Navy SEAL, and Army Ranger and has 16 purple hearts, three Congressional Medals of Honor and seven presidential medals of bravery to show for it. And, he’s still sporting a mullet. It has been 10 years since the man lost his fiancée and decided to give up his life of fighting crime. Yet, when he finds out his sworn enemy has stolen a nuclear warhead, he believes he is the only one that can stop him. He puts together a team and sets out to bring his enemy to justice. He may not do things clean and pretty, but when you need the job done right, you give MacGruber a call.
First Thoughts: Since there is basically nothing to the MacGruber character on Saturday Night Live, they could create any kind of story they wanted. I want it to be good, but it looks dumb.
Movie: Shrek Forever After (PG)
Starring: Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, Julie Andrews & John Cleese
Genre: Fantasy Family Comedy
Synopsis: Shrek gets tricked into signing a deal that puts him in the middle of an alternate Far Far Away where ogres like him are hunted and he has never even met Fiona. Shrek must figure out how to get things back to the way they were before it’s too late, so he can reclaim his one true love.
First Thoughts: This movie seems to have multiple titles, but whatever it’s called, it doesn’t really interest me. I’ve never found any of the previous to be nearly as good as they are touted to be. The movie is also available in 3D and IMAX 3D.
Movies in Limited Release:
- 180° South – Jeff Johnson as he retraces the epic 1968 journey of his heroes Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins to Patagonia in this adventure travel documentary.
- After the Cup: Sons of Sakhnin United – Sports biography about a soccer team from an Arab town in Israel that won the Israeli cup.
- Holy Rollers – Crime drama about a young Hasid from Brooklyn that is following the path his parents have laid out for him until he meets a charming neighbor that shows him a path to quick money.
- Kites – Bollywood romantic drama.
- Racing Dreams – Documentary about three youths pursuing the World Karting Association’s national championship.
- Solitary Man – Michael Douglas, Mary-Louise Parker, and Jenna Fischer star in this comedy drama about a 50-something man that has lost everything, but is making a comeback. But, the same things that brought him down before threaten to do it again if he makes the same wrong choices.
For New Movie Friday there are three new movies to choose from this week. They are 180° South , MacGruber, and Shrek Forever After. Do any of this week’s new movies look good to you?