This week, at a theater near you, there are eight new movies being released. Three open wide and another five are in limited release. Plus, Transformers hits your local IMAX screen.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, September 21st:
Movie: Good Luck Chuck (R) (Read Review)
Starring: Jessica Alba & Dane Cook
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: A guy refused to kiss a weird Goth girl during a game of spin-the-bottle when he was ten. She puts a curse on him. Years later, now a successful dentist, he still has trouble with women. Until he finds out that every girl he has been with goes on to find true happiness and the love of their life in the very next man they date after him. This gets out and now every woman wants a go, so they can get on with finding their special someone after him. Will this satisfy him, or will he be just as lonely as ever? Then one day he meets this accident-prone woman that he just can’t figure out, but she may be just the one.
First Thoughts: The trailer looks good and Jessica Alba is in it, so it looks like this weekends winner, even though I don’t find Dane Cook as funny as many seem to. He was good earlier this year, taking a dramatic turn, in Mr. Brooks.
Movie: Resident Evil: Extinction (R)
Starring: Milla Jovovich, Oded Fehr, Ali Larter, Ashanti & Mike Epps
Genre: Sci-Fi Action Horror
Synopsis: Alice, now having been biogenically altered by the Umbrella Corporation, is hiding in the desert. She has joined up with other survivors and once again they set out to stop the deadly virus from turning everyone into the walking dead. Her new skills maybe just what is needed to make that happen.
First Thoughts: The first one wasn’t all that good, so I was surprised when they made a second one. Now a third film in the franchise; who would of thought?
Movie: Sydney White (PG-13)
Starring: Amanda Bynes, Sara Paxton & Matt Long
Synopsis: A freshman college student attends Southern Atlantic University and has decided to pledge the sorority of her late mother. Once there, she learns that things aren’t the same as when her mother was in college. The head of the sorority kicks her out and banishes her from the sisterhood. She takes up with seven losers and decides they should use the student government as a path to evening things out for everyone on campus.
First Thoughts: A new spin on the story of Snow White.
Movies in Limited Release:
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – A western starring just about everybody: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Shepard, Mary-Louise Parker, Paul Schneider, Zooey Deschanel, Sam Rockwell & Garret Dillahunt. Based on the Ron Hansen book.
- The Jane Austen Book Club – Romantic drama with another big cast: Kathy Baker, Maria Bello, Emily Blunt, Amy Brenneman, Hugh Dancy, Jimmy Smits & Lynn Redgrave. A group starts a book club to distract one friend from her impeding divorce. Based on the Karen Joy Fowler book.
- Into the Wild – Drama about a rich kid that graduates college at the top of his class and is also a top athlete. He then decides to give all his money to charity and get rid of all his possessions and heads for the Alaskan wilderness. Stars Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Jena Malone & Catherine Keener.
- The Last Winter – A supernatural thriller that opens Wednesday, September 19th and stars Ron Perlman, James LeGros, Connie Britton, Zach Gilford & Kevin Corrigan.
- Sea of Change – Fantasy drama about a woman who thinks she has ties to the sea and shows the roller coaster that a lot of relationships can be.
Expanding to more theaters this week are Across the Universe, Dedication, Eastern Promises, In the Shadow of the Moon and In the Valley of Elah. Also, Transformers: The IMAX Experience begins showing.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies at a theater near me this week. They are Good Luck Chuck, Resident Evil: Extinction and Sydney White. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?