This week, at a theater near you, there are 13 new movies being released. Three open wide and another 10 are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, September 14th:
Movie: The Brave One (R) (Read Review)
Starring: Jodie Foster, Terrence Howard, Naveen Andrews, Carmen Ejogo, Nicky Katt & Mary Steenburgen
Synopsis: A host of a New York City radio show and her fiance are attacked brutally one night. She is hurt badly, but he is killed. She is not able to get over what happened and starts a crusade of her own, to find the people responsible. She prowls the streets at night in her pursuit for some justice. What she does, gets the attention of the press and the police. A police detective is tasked with tracking down the anonymous vigilante. She must figure out whether she is becoming just like those who took her fiance’s life, or if she is doing right by him.
First Thoughts: This has a heck of a cast. But, I just saw this movie, didn’t I?
Movie: Dragon Wars (PG-13)
Starring: Jason Behr, Amanda Brooks, Robert Forster, Craig Robinson & Elizabeth Peña
Genre: Sci-fi Action
Synopsis: An old Korean legend states that unknown creatures will come back to kill the planet. A reporter is assigned to investigate and comes across a girl stricken with something mysterious that he thinks is supposed to help him. Los Angeles starts getting destroyed, but will the two of them get there in time to save the city?
First Thoughts: Anytime a special effects laden film like this comes out during this time of year, I can only think of one thing, how did this Sci Fi Saturday Night Movie make is to the big screen?
Movie: Mr. Woodcock (R)
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Seann William Scott, Susan Sarandon, Amy Poehler & Ethan Suplee
Synopsis: A guy who is now a best selling author on the subject of letting go, comes home to find that his mother is dating his old Middle School P.E. teacher. The guy made his life a living hell back then. He decides to stick around and try to break them up.
First Thoughts: Another great cast and actually looks kind of funny. The title makes me want to do my best Bevis and Butt-Head impersonation.
Movies in Limited Release this Friday:
- Across the Universe – A love story set in the 1960s with a backdrop of protests and rock ‘n’ roll.
- December Boys – The story of four teenage orphans competing to be chosen by a couple and stars Daniel Radcliffe.
- Eastern Promises – A thriller starring Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl.
- Great World of Sound – Two guys are sent out to find undiscovered musical talents in this buddy road film with a message.
- In the Valley of Elah – Tommy Lee Jones, Charlize Theron, Susan Sarandon, James Franco, Jonathan Tucker, Frances Fisher and Jason Patric star in this story of a father searching for his son that went missing after returning from Iraq. This movie also has one heck of a cast.
- Ira & Abby – Romantic comedy where a commitment-phobic and very indecisive man meets a woman that knows just what she wants in life.
- King of California – Michael Douglas as a man released from a mental institution that goes home to live with his daughter who has dropped out of high school and is working at McDonald’s. He thinks there is buried treasure near their place and comes to the conclusion it is buried under the neighborhood Costco. He wants her to get a job there, so they can figure out a way to dig for it after hours.
- Moving McAllister – Romantic comedy with a guy doing a favor for his boss, helps move the guy’s niece across country, just days before he is to take the bar exam.
- Pete Seeger: The Power of Song – Biography with other singers like Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen discussing the life and music of Pete Seeger.
- Silk – Period romance drama starring Keira Knightley and Alfred Molina that is set in 19th century France and Japan.
Expanding to more theaters this week is The Hunting Party.
For New Movie Friday there are four new movies at a theater near me this week. They are The Brave One, Dragon Wars, Mr. Woodcock and Silk. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?