There are 11 new films in theaters this Friday. Three open nationwide and another eight open on a limited basis.
Nationwide – New Films In Theaters This Friday, March 9th:
Movie: John Carter (PG-13)
Starring: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Willem Dafoe & Thomas Haden Church
Genre: Sci-Fi Fantasy Adventure
Synopsis: A war-weary former military captain from Earth ends up on Mars and in the middle of a giant conflict between the inhabitants of that planet. He once again finds his humanity as he realizes that saving this world from collapse is up to him.
First Thoughts: The trailer doesn’t make this movie look all that good, but I’m still very interested in seeing it.
Movie: Silent House (R)
Starring: Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens, Julia Taylor Ross, Adam Barnett & Haley Murphy
Genre: Horror Thriller
Synopsis: A young woman find herself trapped inside her family’s lake house. She has no contact to anyone outside and has to figure out how to survive and get out as the terrifying events begin to stack up.
First Thoughts: I have no interest in seeing this, but Elizabeth Olsen looks like she give quite the performance.
Movie: A Thousand Words (PG-13)
Starring: Eddie Murphy, Kerry Washington, Cliff Curtis, Clark Duke & Allison Janney
Synopsis: A guy stretches the truth in a deal with a spiritual guru and later finds a Bodhi tree on his property and learns he only has 1000 words left to speak before he dies. So, he tries not to talk.
First Thoughts: While I like much of the case, this looks and sounds dumb and seems very unlikely to ever make it onto my watch list.
Limited – New Movies In Theaters This Friday, March 9th:
- The Decoy Bride – Comedy starring David Tennant (TV’s Doctor Who) about a local woman in Scotland that gets hired to draw the paparazzi away from a Hollywood actress that has arrived to get married.
- Footnote – About a father and son at Jerusalem’s Hebrew University that are very academic, but the father has worked in obscurity and the son has pursued fame by publishing multiple books and how they don’t get along all that well.
- Friends With Kids – Comedy starring Adam Scott, Jennifer Westfeldt, Jon Hamm, Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph about two single friends that decide to have a baby together after now that all their friends are married. They believe they can share the parenting duties and not realy curb their present life. Things don’t turn out as expected.
- Good for Nothing – Action adventure movie inspired by Spaghetti Westerns about an outlaw that begins to fall for the woman he has abducted.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi – Documentary about 85-year-old Jiro Ono, who is considered to be one of the greatest sushi chefs in the world.
- Playback – Supernatural horror flick starring Christian Slater about a spirit that possesses people that is released in a small town by a group of high school students.
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen – Romance drama starring Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt about a fisheries expert and a consultant tasked with bringing the sport of fly fishing to the desert.
- Sound of Noise – Suspense romance comedy.
There are four new films playing in my area this week. They are Friends With Kids, John Carter, Silent House, and A Thousand Words. Of the 11 new films in theaters this Friday, will you be checking any of them out?