There are 10 new movies in theaters this Friday. One opens nationwide and the other nine open on a limited basis.
Nationwide – New Movies In Theaters This Friday, March 16th:
Movie: 21 Jump Street (R)
Starring: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Brie Larson, Dave Franco & Rob Riggle
Genre: Action Comedy
Synopsis: A couple of cops with a youthful appearance get sent undercover into high school as students. Their job is to seek out a dangerous drug dealer and shutdown the flow of the illegal substances. But, they find that high school is not the same as they remember it and must again face the teen anxiety they dealt with the first time around to complete their mission.
First Thoughts: I’ve seen some of the TV show on which this is based and these types of movies don’t usually turn out so well. But, this one looks like it might be a fun comic-take on the premise. We shall see this Friday.
Limited – New Movies In Theaters This Friday, March 16th:
- Casa De Mi Padre – Comedy starring Will Ferrell in a Mexican grind house style movie meshed with a telenovela.
- Detachment – Drama starring Adrien Brody about a substitute teacher that never stays anywhere long enough to make a connection.
- The FP – Parody dance comedy about the competitive world of deadly dance-fight video games.
- Free Men – Drama about an Algerian immigrant in Paris during WWII that was inspired to join the resistance when he becomes friends with a Jewish man.
- Jeff Who Lives at Home – Comedy starring Jason Segel and Ed Helms about a guy that lives in his mother’s basement and searching for his path in life.
- The Kid With a Bike – Drama.
- Natural Selection – Comedy about a Christian woman that finds out that her dying husband has an illegitimate son and while it turns her life upside down, she agrees to go find him and bring him to meet his father before he dies.
- Reuniting the Rubins – An uptight Jewish lawyer attempts to please his mother by reuniting his estranged children for the holidays.
- Seeking Justice – Drama suspense thriller starring Nicolas Cage a man that gets drawn into a dangerous vigilante operation after his wife is brutally attacked.
There are three new films playing in my area this week. They are 21 Jump Street, Casa De Mi Padre, and Jeff Who Lives at Home. Of the 10 new movies in theaters this Friday, what will you be going to see this weekend?
I don’t think I ever watched the original TV series, but I really enjoyed 21 Jump Street (went to a preview screening a few weeks ago). It started off a bit slow, but turned into a great action/comedy. There seemed to be a bunch of stuff in it to please fans of the TV series. I’m looking forward to the sequel.
Kyle, Seems to be the consensus that about 30 minutes in, 21 Jump Street turns into a really enjoyable movie.