There are 15 new movie opening Friday. Four start everywhere and another 11 are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies Opening Friday, September 16th:
Movie: Drive (R)
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Albert Brooks, Oscar Isaac, Christina Hendricks & Ron Perlman
Genre: Crime Thriller
Synopsis: A Hollywood stunt driver moonlights for thieves at a getaway driver finds out that a price has been put on his head following a job that didn’t go right.
First Thoughts: This is my kind of movie. It sounds a little bit like The Transporter, but like I said, it’s my type of movie.
Movie: I Don’t Know How She Does It (PG-13)
Starring: Sarah Jessica Parker, Pierce Brosnan, Kelsey Grammer & Christina Hendricks
Synopsis: A woman struggles to balance the demands of her career and the needs of her family. When her job starts to require her to travel more and her husband gets a new job, she ends up spread very thin.
First Thoughts: Really good cast and looks interesting, but will see it down the road sometime.
Movie: The Lion Kind 3D
Starring: Rowan Atkinson, Matthew Broderick & Niketa Calame
Genre: Animated Family Musical
First Thoughts: Never saw it the first time and not going to go see it now after being converted into 3-D.
Movie: Straw Dogs (R)
Starring: James Marsden, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgård, James Woods & Dominic Purcell
Synopsis: A married couple move back to her hometown in Mississippi after her father dies. They plan on renovating the house she grew up in and then sell it. Their arrival stirs things up, especially with an old boyfriend. Tension begins to build until things break out into violence.
First Thoughts: Couldn’t care less.
Limited – New Movies Opening Friday, September 16th:
- 3 (Drei) – Comedy drama about a married couple that both fall for another guy.
- Granito: How to Nail a Dictator – Documentary about how footage from and old documentary was used to prosecute a dictator for genocide. Opened Wednesday, September 14th.
- Happy Happy – Romantic comedy about a woman in a less than idyllic marriage that struggles when the perfect couple moves in next door.
- Jane’s Journey – Documentary about Dr. Jane Goodall and her studies of chimpanzees.
- Muran – Action thriller.
- My Afternoons With Margueritte – Comedy drama about the bond that develops between an illiterate man and a 95 year old woman he meets in the park and his hunger for knowledge.
- Restless – Romantic drama about a terminally ill girl and the boy she meets that likes to go to funerals and the ghost they both meet.
- Silent Souls – Psychological drama.
- Stay Cool – Comedy about a successful writer that returns home to speak at his old high school and all the old memories that brings up for him.
- The Weird World of Blow Fly – Documentary.
- The Whale – Documentary about Luna the whale.
There are five new movies playing in my area this week. They are Drive, I Don’t Know How She Does It, The Lion King 3D, Stay Cool, and Straw Dogs. Of the 15 new movies opening Friday, which are you looking forward to seeing this weekend?