There are 12 new movie starting Friday. Four start everywhere and another eight are in limited release.
Nationwide – New Movies Starting Friday, September 23rd:
Movie: Abduction (PG-13)
Starring: Taylor Lautner, Alfred Molina, Antonique Smith, Maria Bello & Jason Isaacs
Genre: Action Thriller
Synopsis: A teenager finds out that the parents who raised him were not his real parents, which leads to him going on the run for his life.
First Thoughts: This looks like it is going to suck, even worse than the Twilight films.
Movie: Dolphin Tale (PG)
Starring: Harry Connick, Jr., Ashley Judd, Nathan Gamble, Kris Kristofferson, Cozi Zuehlsdorff & Morgan Freeman
Genre: Family Drama
Synopsis: Based on the true story of a dolphin that got her tale damaged in a crab trap and the group of people that helped get her swimming again.
First Thoughts: Great cast. Probably a decent family drama, but doesn’t really interest me. It’s also available in 3-D.
Movie: Killer Elite (R)
Starring: Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Robert De Niro, Yvonne Strahovski, Dominic Purcell & Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
Genre: Action Thriller
Synopsis: One of the world’s deadliest special-ops agents come out from his self-imposed exile after learning that his mentor has been taken captive. He gets the old team back together for a rescue mission. To do so they have to make their way through a team of assassins.
First Thoughts: Outstanding cast and it looks like it might be really good too. Looking forward to seeing this one.
Movie: Moneyball (PG-13)
Starring: Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Wright, Chris Pratt & Stephen Bishop
Genre: Sports Drama
Synopsis: Based on the true story of Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics and how he changed the way players are valued by MLB teams during the 2002 season, as his team wasn’t able to compete financially with the large market clubs. He brought an Ivy League graduate that dealt with statistics to help the process along and challenged long-standing baseball traditions on how you build a team.
First Thoughts: Absolutely a great film. Best I’ve seen so far this year. It is very The Social Network-esque and your best bet this weekend.
Limited – New Movies Starting Friday, September 16th:
- A Bird of the Air – Romantic comedy drama starring Rachel Nichols about two people that meet while on a quest to find the owner of a parrot.
- Limelight – Documentary about Peter Gatien and his empire of clubs in the 1980s and his subsequent loss of them in the 1990s.
- Machine Gun Preacher – Action drama starring Gerard Butler and based on a true story of a former drug dealer that becomes the savior of hundreds of kidnapped and orphaned children. This one sounds good and I want to see it at some point.
- The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father, CIA Spymaster William Colby – Documentary.
- Mardi Gras: Spring Break – Gross-out comedy about three college seniors that head to Mardi Gras for spring break and their wacky misadventures.
- Pearl Jam Twenty – Documentary about the Seattle based band by Cameron Crowe. Starts September 20th.
- Puncture – Psychological drama starring Chris Evans about two personal injury lawyers that take on a big case that threatens to a pharmaceutical conspiracy.
- Thunder Soul – Documentary narrated by Jamie Foxx about Texas high school music teacher and how he change the idea of what a high school band could be.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are Abduction, Dolphin Tale, Killer Elite, and Moneyball. Of the 12 new movies starting Friday, which are you looking forward to seeing this weekend?