Fourteen new movies begin Friday. Three open nationwide and the other 11 open on a limited basis. Plus, Bully and The Raid: Redemption expand to more theaters this week.
Nationwide – New Movies Begin Friday, April 13th:
Movie: The Cabin in the Woods (R)
Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins & Bradley Whitford
Genre: Horror Suspense Thriller
Synopsis: Five friends head for a cabin in the woods for a fun time and things go extremely badly.
First Thoughts: I have no interest in seeing this, even if Joss Whedon is a writer and producer on the project.
Movie: Lockout (PG-13)
Starring: Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Vincent Regan, Joe Gilgun, Lennie James & Peter Stormare
Genre: Action Thriller
Synopsis: A man that was wrongly convicted is offered a chance at freedom, if he can rescue the president’s daughter from a prison in outer space that has been overrun by the inmates.
First Thoughts: Probably not very good, but looks like it might still be fun to watch.
Movie: The Three Stooges (PG)
Starring: Will Sasso, Sean Hayes, Chris Diamantopoulos, Jane Lynch & Sofía Vergara
Synopsis: Moe, Larry, and Curly are trying to save their childhood orphanage, but end up in the middle of a murder plot and starring in a reality TV series.
First Thoughts: There is just no way that bringing the Stooges into the present day is going to be good. Although, I suppose if anyone could do it, it’d be the Farrelly Brothers. But, it just looks stupid and not in a good way.
Limited – New Movies Begin Friday, April 13th:
- Bad Ass – Action comedy starring Danny Trejo and Ron Perlman about a decorated war vet that becomes a local hero after saving a guy on a bus from some skin heads.
- Blue Like Jazz – Drama about a teenager that decides to leave his conservative college for a more liberal one in the Pacific Northwest and his journey to discover what he truly believes and who he really is.
- Budz House – Comedy about a group of stoners and the big bag of weed they find that belongs to a local drug lord.
- Deadline – Suspense thriller about a reporter investigating a 20 year old unsolved murder of an African American youth in a rural Alabama.
- Detention – Horror comedy about a group of students trying to survive senior year and the slasher killer that has started preying on their school.
- Here – Road movie about a guy traveling across Armenia to create an accurate satellite survey.
- L!fe Happens – Comedy starring Krysten Ritter, Kate Bosworth and Rachel Bilson about three roommates and how things change for them after one of them gets pregnant from a one night stand and becomes a single mother.
- Monsieur Lazhar – Foreign drama about a 55-year-old Algerian that offers to substitute teach at a school after the elementary teacher dies.
- Touchback – Drama starring Kurt Russell about football and life.
- Unraveled – Documentary about attorney Marc Dreier and the huge securities fraud scheme he masterminded.
- Woman Thou Art Loosed: On the 7th Day – Drama starring Blair Underwood and Sharon Leal about a couple that have to deal with secrets and lies that could tear them apart during the seven days after their child is kidnapped.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are Blue Like Jazz, The Cabin in the Woods, Lockout and The Three Stooges. Fourteen new movies begin Friday, which ones do you want to go see?