Seven new movies open this Friday. Two open wide and five are in limited release.
Movies Opening Nationwide on Friday, June 15th:
Movie: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (PG-13) (Read Review)
Starring: Jessica Alba, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis, Julian McMahon & Laurence Fishburne
Genre: Comic Book Action Sci-Fi
Synopsis: The Fantastic Four are back with a new enemy. The Silver Surfer has come to Earth to prepare it for destruction. While the team tries to figure out how to stop the shiny board flyer, an old nemesis, Dr. Doom, starts preparing to wreak a little havoc of his own. Can the four of them figure out the mysteries behind the Surfer and also stop Doom in his tracks?
First Thoughts: The first Fantastic Four movie seemed to get a lukewarm reception in the wake of the Spider-Man and X-Men franchise films, but I thought it was a very good introduction into the characters and their story. I am looking forward to the continuing adventures.
Movie: Nancy Drew (PG)
Starring: Emma Roberts, Rachael Leigh Cook & Tate Donovan
Genre: Family Mystery
Synopsis: Nancy Drew goes with her father to Hollywood and gets involved in a unsolved case of a movie star that people don’t want solved. From a small town and now in the midst of the hustle of big city life, her resourcefulness is tested. Based on the Carolyn Keene character.
First Thoughts: If you are a thirteen-year-old girl or have one, then this might just be a fun time at the movies.
Movies in Limited Release this Week:
- Blood and Tears: The Arab-Israeli Conflict – Documentary that attempts to explore what the confrontation itself is about and what its origins are with interviews of officials, mullahs, ministers, historians and group leaders.
- D.O.A.: Dead or Alive – Based on the videogame franchise from Tecmo. If you like hot chicks and choreographed fight scenes, then this is the movie for you. Stars Jaime Pressly (TV’s My Name Is Earl).
- Eagle vs. Shark – British romantic comedy that actually looks quite sweet. It is the story of two odd balls that meet at a party dressed as their favorite animal and sparks fly. She is a hopeless romantic fast food clerk and he a videogame store worker who has been planning a payback mission against a school bully for years now.
- Fido – Sounds like another funny and interesting take on the zombie film. In this one, a corporation figured out a way to put collars on them to control them, turning them into domesticated zombies. Now used as pets and to do menial tasks, but one of them belonging to a young boy has a collar that isn’t working.
- The Trials of Darryl Hunt – Biographical documentary told through footage and clips from the perspective of three people that were involved in the case of a wrongfully convicted man.
For New Movie Friday there are three new movies opening at a theater near me on Friday. D.O.A.: Dead of Alive, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Nancy Drew. It looks like it will be a fantastic Friday. What new movie will you be heading out to see this weekend?