Have you ever done something, like say, post about new movies every Wednesday, for an extended period of time, like say, since the beginning of the year, and then one day you just totally forget, like yesterday, to do it. Well, that is what happened and now on with what’s playing this week.
This week, at a theater near you, there are nine new movies being released. Two open nationwide and another seven are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, October 26th:
Movie: Dan in Real Life (PG-13) (Read Review)
Starring: Steve Carell, Juliette Binoche & Dane Cook
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: The author of a widely read advice column and dedicated single dad meets the woman of his dreams, when his extended family has a reunion at a beach house. Unfortunately, for him, she is his brother’s girlfriend.
First Thoughts: It looks like it might be funny. It’s got to be better than the alternative this weekend.
Movie: Saw IV (R)
Starring: Tobin Bell, Costas Mandylor, Scott Patterson, Betsy Russell & Lyriq Bent
Synopsis: Two FBI profilers arrive to help a depleted police department figure out Jigsaw’s next grizzly game. Then the SWAT commander is reported taken and put in the middle of the game. He only has 90 minutes to figure a way out through all the interconnected traps.
First Thoughts: Never have really gotten the whole scary movie thing. I look forward to not going to see Saw X in Fall 2013.
Movies in Limited Release:
- Before the Devil Knows Your Dead – Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney star in this crime thriller about a broker deep in debt that gets his brother to rob their parents’ jewelry store with him, but things don’t go as planned and their fathers goes about hunting them down.
- How to Cook Your Life – A biographical documentary about chef and Zen priest Edward Espe that sounds like it could have been called Zen and the Art of Cooking Healthy.
- Jimmy Carter Man From Plains – Biographical documentary of former President Jimmy Carter on his book tour of his book Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid.
- Mr. Untouchable – Biographical documentary about Leroy “Nicky” Barnes and him becoming a heroin kingpin in New York, in the 1970s, before he was caught.
- Music Within – Ron Livingston, Melissa George, Rebecca De Mornay and Hector Elizondo star in this biographical drama about a guy that has his dreams of being a public speaker dashed and then joins the army, where he loses most of his hearing and then upon his return ends up becoming a motivational speaker for the differently abled.
- Rails & Ties – Kevin Bacon and Marcia Gay Harden star in this family drama about a woman who kills herself by parking her car on the train tracks and how her family and the train engineer that couldn’t stop are affected by the tragedy.
- Slipstream – Anthony Hopkins, Stella Arroyave, Christian Slater, John Turturro and Michael Clarke Duncan star in this fantasy comedy about an aging screenwriter that finds the characters in his latest murder mystery invading his life.
Expanding to more theaters this week are The Darjeeling Limited, Lars and the Real Girl, Reservation Road and Wristcutters: A Love Story.
For New Movie Friday there are two new movies at a theater near me this week to choose from. They are Dan in Real Life and Saw IV. What new movie will you be heading out to see this weekend?