Nine new movies open Friday. Three open nationwide, all of which I want to see, and another six open on a limited basis.
Nationwide – New Movies Opening Friday, January 20th:
Movie: Haywire (R)
Starring: Gina Carano, Michael Douglas, Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Bill Paxton, Channing Tatum & Antonio Banderas
Genre: Action Adventure
Synopsis: A very highly trained operative working for a government security contractor goes on missions to the most dangerous places in the world. After a successful hostage rescue, the people she works for betray her. After barely surviving, she knows that the only way to stay alive is to find out who betrayed her and why. She sets a trap to make that happen.
First Thoughts: This movie looks badass. I’ve wanted to see it since the first time I saw the trailer play.
Movie: Red Tails (PG-13)
Starring: Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Bryan Cranston, Nate Parker & David Oyelowo
Genre: Action Drama
Synopsis: The Civil Aeronautics Authority selected 13 black cadets to be part of an experimental fighter pilot training program at the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama during World War II. They fight through the discrimination of the time to show that they are just as good as any other fighter pilots. They become known as the Tuskegee Airmen.
First Thoughts: Looks like an amped up action version of the HBO movie The Tuskegee Airmen from 1995.
Movie: Underworld Awakening (PG-13)
Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Stephen Rea, Michael Ealy, Theo James & India Eisley
Genre: Action Horror
Synopsis: Selene escapes being imprisoned to learn that humans now know about Vampires and Lycans and seeks to wipe both immortal species off the planet.
First Thoughts: I probably in the minority, but I’ve liked all the Underworld films thus far and will definitely be seeing this one. It’s also available in 3-D and IMAX 3-D.
Limited – New Movies That Open Friday, January 20th:
- Carol Channing: Larger Than Life – Documentary about the life and career of Carol Channing.
- Coriolanus – Drama starring Ralph Fiennes, Gerrard Butler and Jessica Chastain about a feared Roman General that allies with a sworn enemy to take revenge on Rome after he is banished.
- The Flowers of War – Foreign drama starring Christian Bale about a group that takes refuge in a western cathedral in 1937 during war between China and Japan.
- The Front Line – Foreign drama about a South Korean battalions battle for a hill near the end of the Korean War.
- Miss Bala – Foreign drama about a wannabe beauty queen that unwillingly gets mixed up in the middle of the Mexico’s violent drug war.
- Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston – Documentary.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are The Flowers of War, Haywire, Red Tails and Underworld Awakening. Overall, seven new movies open Friday, what will you be seeing this weekend?
I really like the first 2 Underworld films, the prequel less so. Can’t wait to see the new one in 3D, though will probably wait and put my $15 towards the 3D Blu-ray.
Saw the trailer for Haywire for the first time this week–looks great!