Eight movies start Friday. Two open everywhere and another six are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, January 14th:
Movie: The Dilemma (PG-13)
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Winona Ryder, Jennifer Connelly, Channing Tatum & Queen Latifah
Synopsis: Two longtime friends have are partners in an auto-design firm and are hard at work on a presentation to land their dream project, which would catapult their new company into the big time. One friend sees the other’s wife with another man and begins to investigate what looks like an affair. While doing so, he finds that his friend has some secrets too. He debates whether or not to tell his friend what he has found out, cause it could ruin his friend and also distract him from the big presentation.
First Thoughts: This has all the earmarks of a great cast squandered in a search for comedy. But, people seem to love Kevin James in January, even if not so much at other times of the year.
Movie: The Green Hornet (PG-13)
Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou & Cameron Diaz
Genre: Action Adventure
Synopsis: The son of a very well respected media tycoon seems perfectly content to fritter his life away with parties and the like until his father dies mysteriously and leaves him in control of the media empire. He then befriends one of his father’s employees and finds out a few things about his father he didn’t know. Deciding he wants to do something meaningful with his life, the two strike out in costume to fight crime by becoming criminals. They start to hunt down those that are behind the major crimes in LA.
First Thoughts: I’ve grown tired of Seth Rogen’s shtick and much of it is on display in the trailer, so hoping there is more to this than that. It’s also available in 3D and IMAX 3D flavors.
Opening in Limited Release
- Barney’s Version – Slice of life drama based on the novel by Mordecai Richler starring Paul Giamatti, Dustin Hoffman, Rosamund Pike, Minnie Driver, Rachelle Lefevre, and Scott Speedman about the politically incorrect life of a man named Barney Panofsky and the women he married over the course of his life.
- Every Day – Drama starring Liev Schreiber, Helen Hunt, Carla Gugino, Eddie Izzard, and Brian Dennehy about a TV writer that has everything in his life start to go in the wrong direction all at the same time.
- The Heart Specialist – Romantic comedy starring Wood Harris, Brian J. White, Zoe Saldana, Mya, Method Man, Jennifer Lewis, Ed Asner, Jasmine Guy, and Marla Gibbs about two eligible bachelors, a doctor and club owner, in South Florida that get more than they bargained for when they don’t take full account of the women they are attempting to manipulate.
- Ong Bak 3 – Supernatural martial arts thriller that picks up right where Ong Bak 2 left off.
- Plastic Planet – Documentary by Werner Boote about plastic.
- A Somewhat Gentle Man – Crime drama starring Stellan Skarsgard about a gangster now out of prison that finds it hard to stay out of the things that got him put in jail.
So, that leaves two new movies playing in my area this week, The Dilemma and The Green Hornet. Are you planning on seeing either of these this week?