There are 10 movies opening this Friday. Three are opening everywhere and seven more open on a limited basis.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, November 5th:
Movie: Due Date (R)
Starring: Robert Downey, Jr., Zach Galifianakis, Jamie Foxx, Michelle Monaghan & Juliette Lewis
Synopsis: A soon to be father is on the other side of the country and needs to get back home for his baby’s birth, but can’t fly. So, due to other unforeseen circumstances ends on a cross-country road trip with an obnoxious guy.
First Thoughts: It should probably be called No Planes or Trains, Just Automobiles. The trailer has some funny bits and I like both the leads, just hope that they didn’t use up all the funny in the ads.
Movie: For Colored Girls (R)
Starring: Kimberly Elise, Janet Jackson, Loretta Devine & Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad & Whoopi Goldberg
Synopsis: It is based on the 1975 award winning play by Ntozake Shange that was a series of poems performed by a cast of nameless women known only by a color. Subjects dealt with include abandonment, abortion, love, and rape.
First Thoughts: Great cast.
Movie: Megamind (PG-13)
Starring: Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, Tina Fey, Jonah Hill & David Cross
Genre: Animated Superhero Satire
Synopsis: A down and out supervillian doesn’t know what do to when his arch nemesis quits and a new bad guy starts terrorizing Metro City.
First Thoughts: I don’t see a lot of animated films, so not likely to see this one. Yet, the last one I did see was The Incredibles, which had some similar themes and was really good, so you never know. The movie is also available in 3D and IMAX 3D flavors.
Movies in Limited Release:
- 127 Hours – Adventure drama starring James Franco, Amber Tamblyn, Kate Mara and others about a guy that gets his armed trapped under a boulder while exploring a remote canyon in Utah. Over five days he examines his life and tries to figure out what his options are, which come down to cut off his arm and maybe die or stay trapped and maybe die.
- Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer – Documentary about former New York governor Eliot Spitzer.
- Fair Game – Docudrama thriller starring Naomi Watts, Sean Penn, and others about Valerie Plame and her husband dealing with her covert CIA status being revealed.
- Four Lions – A satire about a group of terrorists in a British city.
- Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench – A full on song and dance musical romance.
- Red Hill – A young police officer relocates on a small town with his pregnant wife looking to make a fresh start in this modern western, but things don’t go as planned when an escaped convict returns to the town looking for revenge.
- William S. Burroughs: A Man Within – Biography detailing the novelist’s life and writing.
For New Movie Friday there are five new movies playing in my area this week. They are Due Date, Fair Game, For Colored Girls, Four Lions, and Megamind. Do any of this week’s new movies look good to you?