This week, at a theater near you, there are 9 new movies being released. Three open wide and another six are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, September 7th:
Movie: 3:10 to Yuma (R) (Read Review)
Starring: Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Peter Fonda, Gretchen Mol & Ben Foster
Synopsis: An outlaw has been terrorizing Arizona in the 1800s, with a focus on the Southern Railroad, gets captured. He is set to stand trial and has to be taken to Yuma. A down on his luck rancher volunteers to be one of the men to escort him there. Along the way, mind games are played between the two men and the outlaw’s men are out to track him down and rescue him.
First Thoughts: Remake of the 1957 film that starred Glenn Ford and Van Heflin in the roles now taken on by Russell Crowe and Christian Bale respectively. Based on the short story by Elmore Leonard. After seeing the trailer, this looks like the best bet of the weekend.
Movie: The Brothers Solomon (R)
Starring: Will Arnett, Will Forte, Chi McBride & Kristen Wiig
Synopsis: Two brothers socially inept brothers learn that their father’s dying wish is to be a grandfather. So, the brothers try to make it happen, but look destined to fail miserably.
First Thoughts: Hadn’t heard or seen anything about this film until today when looking up what films are coming out. So, watched the trailer and it looks like a Saturday Night Live sketch that goes on way to long, or that could just be because half of the main cast are SNLers.
Movie: Shoot’em Up (R)
Starring: Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti & Monica Bellucci
Synopsis: Well, the title just about says it all. A mysterious guy takes it upon himself with a little help to protect a baby from a bad guy that is hunting them down.
First Thoughts: This has a really solid cast, but only an 80-minute runtime. It looks like it could be fun, or at least better than War from a couple of weeks ago.
Movies in Limited Release this Friday:
- The Bubble – A romantic drama about an Israeli and a Palestinian meet at a checkpoint and begin a relationship.
- Fierce People – Coming of age drama starring Diane Lane and Donald Sutherland about 16-year-old boy and his junkie mother who move in with her wealthy sugar daddy.
- Hatchet – It is a slasher flick unless the title left you unsure.
- The Hunting Party – Richard Gere and Terrence Howard play reporters on the hunt for a Bosnian criminal and the scoop of a lifetime.
- I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With – Romantic comedy with Sarah Silverman, Bonnie Hunt and Jeff Garlin.
- In the Shadow of the Moon – Biographical documentary about the nine men that have set foot on the moon that includes interviews with surviving astronauts and never before seen archival footage.
For New Movie Friday there are three new movies at a theater near me this week. They are 3:10 to Yuma, The Brothers Solomon and Shoot’em Up. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?