This week there are nine new movies being released. Four open wide and five are in limited release.
Opened Nationwide on Wednesday, August 8th:
Movie: Daddy Day Camp (PG-13)
Starring: Cuba Gooding, Jr., Lochlyn Munro, Richard Gant & Tamala Jones
Genre: Family Comedy
Synopsis: Two fathers decide to take over a rundown summer camp and comedy ensues.
First Thoughts: Might be good for the family crowd, but doesn’t interest me.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, August 10th:
Movie: Rush Hour 3 (PG-13) (Read Review)
Starring: Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker
Genre: Action Comedy
Synopsis: The guys are in Paris this time and have a run in with the Chinese Triad crew. Comedy and martial arts action ensues.
First Thoughts: I liked the first two, so this looks like a contender for this week’s movie pick.
Movie: Skinwalkers (PG-13)
Starring: Jason Behr, Elias Koteas, Rhona Mitra & Kim Coates
Synopsis: A boy about to turn thirteen is about to find out that is birthday marks his transformational beginning. His mother fears that he is sick, but those that have been guarding him since his birth know what is really going on. When the red moon is full, he will fulfill his family’s destiny, but this puts his life in total danger and a fierce battle between factions of Skinwalkers breaks out.
First Thoughts: I have heard that this is not a very good movie and horror is not my forte, so this is not a likely selection.
Movie: Stardust (PG-13)
Starring: Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller & Ricky Gervais
Genre: Fantasy Adventure
Synopsis: A young man heads into the land of fairies to find a fallen star in order to win the heart of the woman he desires. Instead of a star he finds a beautiful girl. He is not the only one seeking this star, as a king’s four sons are fighting each other to get there first, so they can assume the thrown and an evil witch that wants to use her to become eternally young and beautiful. He tries to protect her from these suitors that would do her harm. This all leads to some romance, adventure, and encounters with pirates and shady traders. If he can survive using his wits and the strength found from his newfound love, he might just uncover his true identity.
First Thoughts: This actually looks like it might be pretty good and has an outstanding cast.
Movies in Limited Release this Friday:
- 2 Days in Paris – Romantic comedy starring Adam Goldberg and Julie Delpy where a couple tries to reenergize their marriage with a trip to Paris.
- Cut Sleeve Boy – Comedy drama about two aging Asian gay men in London after the death of one of their friends.
- Dans Paris – A young Parisian is headed down the same deadly path of depression that led his sister to kill herself after he suffers a brutal breakup.
- Descent – Psychological thriller starring Rosario Dawson as a woman with everything but who still feels alone. After being violated she pulls away from everything she knows and sets out to avenge her attack.
- Rocket Science – Coming of age comedy about a teenager attempting to conquer the mysteries of love, life and public speaking where everyone is messed up and in need of human connections.
The movie Becoming Jane expands nationwide this week.
For New Movie Friday there are seven new movies at a theater near me this week. They are Daddy Day Camp, Rush Hour 3, Skinwalkers and Stardust. What new movie will you be heading out to see this week?