There are nine movies starting this Friday. Four open everywhere and another five are in limited release.
Opening Nationwide on Friday, February 11th:
Movie: The Eagle (PG-13)
Starring: Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell, Mark Strong, Tahar Rahim & Donald Sutherland
Genre: Historical Adventure
Synopsis: The son of a leader of Roman soldiers that went missing goes in search of the emblem they carried to restore his father’s reputation.
First Thoughts: While this doesn’t look quite as bad as Season of the Witch, it does look pretty bad. I don’t buy Tatum in the role at all from the trailer.
Movie: Gnomeo & Juliet (G)
Starring: James McAvoy, Emily Blunt & Michael Caine
Genre: Animated Comedy
Synopsis: A pair of garden gnomes from feuding gnome factions try to figure out how to be together.
First Thoughts: It actually looks like a cute version of the classic Romeo & Juliet story. Yet, thinking they probably don’t off themselves at the end.
Movie: Just Go With It (PG-13)
Starring: Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston, Brooklyn Decker, Bailee Madison & Nicole Kidman
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: A plastic surgeon that use the lie of being married to attract women meets a girl he likes without it, but she finds his fake ring and breaks things off. He then enlists the help of his assistant to pretend to be his soon to be ex-wife, so he can keep seeing the girl. One lie backfires, which leads to another and so on and so forth until everything changes during a group trip to Hawaii.
First Thoughts: Another weak premise that hopefully leads to a few laughs, but apparently this movie does have a couple of things going for it, just watch the trailer and I think you’ll know what I mean. Yet, it’s the movie I’ll be seeing this Friday.
Movie: Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (G)
Starring: Justin Bieber
Synopsis: Tells the story of the young pop star’s rise to worldwide fame from humble beginnings.
First Thoughts: Was disappointed to learn that this wasn’t another unauthorized remake of Thunderball with the young pop singer playing a young James Bond. It is also being released in 3D.
Opening in Limited Release
- Carancho – Thriller about a couple who fall in love while in pursuit of their personal goals.
- Cedar Rapids – Ed Helms (The Office) stars in this comedy about a naive man from a small town taking his first trip to the big city for an insurance conference in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- Poetry – Slice of life drama about a woman at the end of her life searching for meaning.
- The Scenesters – Mystery thriller about the a string of young hipsters being murdered in East Los Angeles and the crime scene cleanup guy that starts using Sherlock Holmes type logic to investigate the crimes and a couple of filmmakers that start filming his investigation hoping to turn it into their big break if he actually solves it.
- Vidal Sassoon: The Movie – Documentary about Vidal Sassoon and his rags-to-riches story.
There are four new movies playing in my area this week. They are The Eagle, Gnomeo & Juliet, Just Go With It, and Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. Anything look good to you this weekend?